If you undergo a surgical abortion it is very important to follow advice and recommendations from your doctor about the post surgical abortion care in Fort Lauderdale. Abortions that take place under the care of a licensed medical professional within a clinic are generally safe procedures with few complications. However, women may experience some side effects, including abdominal cramps, light vaginal bleeding, nausea, sore breasts, and fatigue.
Before a surgical abortion your doctor will:
- Evaluate your past health, including any medications you are taking.
- Do a physical exam, including a pelvic examination, to evaluate your health, how long you have been pregnant, and the location and health of the embryo or fetus.
- Some doctors may choose to perform an ultrasound to confirm how far along and where the pregnancy is.
- Discuss your decision to have an abortion and your feelings about the decision.
- Discuss your plans for future pregnancies and birth control use.
- Explain the procedure, possible problems, and when to call your doctor.
Post surgical abortion care in Fort Lauderdale
After your abortion procedure is completed, you will rest in a recovery room for around an hour. In case you had any kind of sedation you will not be able to drive or leave by yourself, so you will be required to bring someone to help you get home safely, and you will be advised to take it easy for the rest of the day.
Bleeding after an abortion
Many women may experience bleeding after an abortion. During this time, you might as well experience days with light to heavy spotting.
It is also normal to pass blood clots, but if you find yourself passing large blood clots that are the size of a golf ball for more than two hours, you should call your doctor or an abortion clinic. Another sign of complication is consistent heavy bleeding. This is defined as going through two or more maxi pads in one hour or bleeding heavily for two hours or more. Also, if the blood is bright red after the first 24 hours following an abortion, or if it accompanies a stabbing and persistent pain.
Sex after an abortion
Whether you had a surgical abortion or an abortion pill, it is typically advised that you wait about two weeks having sex or inserting anything vaginally. By doing so you will minimize the risk of infection, which is an important part of post-abortion care. Having unprotected sex after an abortion means you should call your doctor and ask what measures to take to prevent pregnancy. Also, if you experience sharp pain during sex after an abortion, you should call your abortion clinic. Though this may not be an emergency, they might still schedule you for a follow-up.
Side effects and complications
There are some side effects after an abortion that most women experience and they are nothing to e worried about:
- Abdominal cramps
- Light vaginal bleeding
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sore breasts
As we have already said, both medical and surgical abortion procedures are generally considered to be safe. However, they can sometimes result in serious complications.
One of the most common complications when it comes to post surgical abortion care is infection. While there are many possible reasons for this, the most common are incomplete abortion or exposure to bacteria vaginally, which can happen by having sex too soon. To reduce the risk of infection you should wait for about two weeks before having sex and use pads instead of tampons. Symptoms include strong-smelling vaginal discharge, fever, and severe pelvic pain, and if left untreated they can result in pelvic inflammatory disease.
Other potential complications during post surgical abortion care include:
- Incomplete or failed abortion – This is the case where a fetus is still viable or was not fully evacuated from the womb, and can cause serious complications.
- Uterine perforation – Symptoms are severe abdominal pain, bleeding, and fever.
- Septic shock – Symptoms are fever, chills, abdominal pain, and low blood pressure.
How to reduce side effects during post surgical abortion care
To reduce side effects and increase comfort you can:
- Use heating pads to ease cramps.
- Stay hydrated.
- Surround yourself with supporting people in case of emotional changes due to drastic hormone shifts.
- Stay at home for a day or two to rest and recover.
- Take medications like ibuprofen to lessen cramps and pain.
- In case of cramps massage your abdomen.
- Wear a tight-fitting bra to relieve breast tenderness.
Aastra Women’s Center is the place to go if you decide to have an abortion. There you will find the best medical staff in the country and professional service. You will feel comfortable in an atmosphere of safety, dignity, and respect. Visit us and why so many women choose our abortion clinic in Fort Lauderdale. You can rest assured that you are in good and caring hands.